Breaking Chains and Not Burning Rubber

BREAKING CHAINS - Freedom: Cycle touring is the greatest way I have found to experience freedom. Whilst I celebrate mine I hope to help others gain and realise theirs, and protect ours, by fundraising for Amnesty International

NOT BURNING RUBBER - Environmental Awareness: Cycling is one of the most efficient and sustainable modes of transport. It's slow speed allows you to become more aware and connected with our surroundings, and therefore the pressures that they may be under. I intent to have a minimal negative impact on the environment whilst I travel, and will share my observations and experiences about my journey, environmental issues, and sustainable living here:

Friday, 9 September 2011

Solo on the highway

After saying goodbye to the amazing bay we camped in for the last two nights, we rode 15km in land to the Route 5 motorway (The Pan American Highway - longest road in the world I read somewhere). There unfortunately Dani s knee was to bad to ride on. So we made the decision for her to jump on a bus (of which there are loads, must be at least 6 an hour heading north) to La Serena (329km North). She will rest up there and then, hopefully, meet me for a ride to a national park just south of La Serena in 3 days time.
It is a shame, and she is gutted. It s not that she is unfit or hasn t trained, she had just completed a 24hour hike in the Swiss Alps just over a week ago. We could have waited longer but with the national holiday festival near La Serena next week we didn t want to hang around to long.
So solo I am.
Just hammered 70km on the motorway to Los Vilos. Motorway riding is actually a lot safer and more pleasant than it sounds - plenty of room at the the side and most of the trucks move over and and give a wave.
The route follows the coast so amazing views, and have been joined by a few birds of prey flying above me (checking me out) for a few Ks, a great experience.
Right a quick empanada and back on the road, hopefully crack a 100km today!

No comments:

Post a Comment