Breaking Chains and Not Burning Rubber

BREAKING CHAINS - Freedom: Cycle touring is the greatest way I have found to experience freedom. Whilst I celebrate mine I hope to help others gain and realise theirs, and protect ours, by fundraising for Amnesty International

NOT BURNING RUBBER - Environmental Awareness: Cycling is one of the most efficient and sustainable modes of transport. It's slow speed allows you to become more aware and connected with our surroundings, and therefore the pressures that they may be under. I intent to have a minimal negative impact on the environment whilst I travel, and will share my observations and experiences about my journey, environmental issues, and sustainable living here:

Thursday, 18 August 2011

Finals and Farewells

Wow, the time has arrived for me to get on with my cycle for freedom, and leave New Zealand.
Everything is packed up, and my new home (tent) finally arrived last night - got delivered to the pub by my old house mate!
My bags weigh 50kg all up, which should get on with no excess I hope. So with food and water I will be pedalling with around 60kg :)
I have sold heaps of stuff to fund this trip, with my car been the last to go yesterday (a good feeling in someways). All the rest of my belongings have been boxed up and dropped off for shipping home to England.

Thanks so much to all the hugs, kisses, hand shakes, and kind words from so many.
I feel very privileged to have so many, and good, friends. Hopefully see you again someday....

Here is a great suggestion from one for a song for my trip (think saddle);

Adios amigos and NZ, cheers! x


2 comments:

  1. Hola! Como esta usted?

    In trying to get my bearing of where you will be trekking using the world map, I chanced to a site where they talk about The Upside Down Map: it needed not be Eurocentric world! Check what Joaquin Torres, a Uruguan painter said below:

    Joaquín Torres, a Uruguayan painter, lived in Barcelona in the early 1900s. He questioned why world maps are drawn with North at the top when the universe is infinite and has no sides and the world is suspended in it. In the late 1930s he returned to Uruguay, and made this 1943 illustration of South America (image on a magic realist map site). It is an early example of an upside down map. [ Source: email from Carlos ] An article titled Latino Art Crossing Borders has some more details.

    Oxfam raise the question: what might happen if all the maps in the world were flipped?

    The world will be upside-down when you start cycling that part of the world amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck rich..im following your progress very closely amigo!!!!

    ReplyDelete