Breaking Chains and Not Burning Rubber

BREAKING CHAINS - Freedom: Cycle touring is the greatest way I have found to experience freedom. Whilst I celebrate mine I hope to help others gain and realise theirs, and protect ours, by fundraising for Amnesty International

NOT BURNING RUBBER - Environmental Awareness: Cycling is one of the most efficient and sustainable modes of transport. It's slow speed allows you to become more aware and connected with our surroundings, and therefore the pressures that they may be under. I intent to have a minimal negative impact on the environment whilst I travel, and will share my observations and experiences about my journey, environmental issues, and sustainable living here:

Sunday, 19 June 2011

Nice Racks!

Gearing up the bike and me has been progressing nicely over the last week.
With the fitting of:
Tubus (German made) racks: a Logo Rear to the back, and a Tara Lowrider Front to the..err... front ;)
I had to use a Tubus adaptor for my front forks, as she has no eyelets mid way down the forks.
But they were both easy to fit and feel very sturdy.
There is a bit of debate over whether low
-rider or high-rider front racks are better for cycle trekking, and after seeing the advantages of a friends high-rider (you can mount additional gear on top of the rack, plus support the weight
of your inevitably overloaded bar bag) I was keen to jump camps from my low-rider experience. But you can't always get what you want... Tubus don't make a high-rider, and they are recommended by every cycle-trekking site I have read; they are steel, so like the bike frame steel/alloy issue, can be repaired by low-skilled welders and are much less likely to fail than alloy. The alloy low-rider on my Ridgeback flexed an uncomfortable amount when touring around Britain, and was by no means overloaded.
Low-rider people say they are the best-choice due to lowering the centre-of-gravity of your packed-out-bike, and aiding steering. I'm not too convinced about that, but it is the best option available...
So a lowrider I remain...

I also fitted a pretty cheap (proudly German Engineered!) wired speedo, which I can't see lasting till my August departure date never mind through the Amazon. "You get what you pay for" rang through my head whilst fitting it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment