Breaking Chains and Not Burning Rubber

BREAKING CHAINS - Freedom: Cycle touring is the greatest way I have found to experience freedom. Whilst I celebrate mine I hope to help others gain and realise theirs, and protect ours, by fundraising for Amnesty International

NOT BURNING RUBBER - Environmental Awareness: Cycling is one of the most efficient and sustainable modes of transport. It's slow speed allows you to become more aware and connected with our surroundings, and therefore the pressures that they may be under. I intent to have a minimal negative impact on the environment whilst I travel, and will share my observations and experiences about my journey, environmental issues, and sustainable living here:

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Where to go?

The why's and how's:
I ve wanted to travel around the world without flying for sometime. Having done a lot of flying over the years it always seems such a shame how rushed it is. You get inside the tin can, hold your breath, fall asleep, and boom you awake in a new place. Having no idea or respect for the distances and cultures between. Not to mention the human rights vialations of modern airport security, and the massive environmental impact of flying.
Orginally the plan was to travel from England to New Zealand, and the idea involved a lot of trains (trans siberian been the main).

Now 7 years later the idea is finally become a reality, with a few major changes;
- Having recently realised the freedom that cycle touring allows, I will tavel by push-bike as much as possible.
- Instead of going via Asia, I will travel through the Americas
- There will be a flight involved, the Pacific ocean is a huge chunk of the journey and the hope of going by boat is looking pretty slim. A shame but that is the modern day reality. If I went by boat it would mean missing out South America and spending the majority of my time on a boat. So I will just have to swollow the pain on that one.

I am keen to go to South America, as I want to study basic farming and living techniques. Asia would be great for this too. But I have no hope of learning Chinese. Spanish is a real possibility and a language and culture that I love. The amazing natural wonders of South America also has a huge pull.

So there we go SA it is, with the hope of carrying on through North America and on by boat to Europe. One thing is for sure it is going to be the adventure of my life. Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment